A panel will discuss arts in the Akron community at the Akron Press Club’s luncheon on Tuesday, Nov. 16, at the University of Akron’s Martin Center. There will be the opportunity for questions from the audience during the discussion.
The panelists will be:
- Mitchell Kahan, director and CEO of the Akron Art Museum. Kahan has led the Akron Art Museum since 1986. He oversaw a major capital campaign to build the John S. and James L. Knight building, which more than tripled the museum’s size. Kahan is a founding officer of the Akron Arts Alliance.
- Dr. Frank Jacobs, artistic director of the Summit Choral Society. Jacobs founded the Society in 1990. He holds degrees from Occidental College, DePauw University and the University of Illinois. Jacobs has taught elementary, junior high and high school music in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and California. He served as director of choral activities for five years each at DePauw University and at the University of Akron.
- James Slowiak, co-artistic director, New World Performance Laboratory. The Laboratory is a theater company in residence at the University of Akron. Slowiak is professor of theater arts at UA, where he teaches acting directing, voice movement and contemporary theatre styles.
The panel will be moderated by Bob Burford, Kent State University marketing and external relations coordinator and WKSU announcer. Burford is past president of the Akron Area Arts Alliance and the Akron Press Club.
Speakers: Mitchell Kahan of the Akron Art Museum, Frank Jacobs of the Summit Choral Society and James Slowiak of the New World Performance Laboratory.
Time: Buffet luncheon begins at 11:45 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 16. Program follows.
Place: Martin University Center, 105 Fir Hill, University of Akron campus.
Cost: $15 for Press Club members, $20 for non-members.
Reservations requested: Go to akronpressclub.org, call 330-564-4211 or e-mail RSVP@cmoresearch.com
Future Press Club events include:
- A Dec. 17 speech Stan Austin, the new superintendent for the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- A January appearance by long-time Akron Beacon Journal sports writer Sheldon Ocker.
- An update of the state of Akron schools from Superintendent David James in February.
- County Executive Russ Pry’s annual state of Summit County speech in March.
Check the Press Club’s web page, www.akronpressclub.org, for updates.